Friday 15 August 2008

Job 32-42

Well, there I was thinking I wasn't preaching until September - I've had two phonecalls this evening, and now I'm preaching twice tomorrow! So, a few thoughts on the end of Job before I knuckle down to some preparation...

Elihu's speech and the Lord's speech.
Elihu is interesting - he waits for the other, older men to speak before he says anything. But their words betray their lack of wisdom. This reminded me of a situation I was in a couple of years ago - I respected some older men so much, it stopped me speaking up when their actions and teaching became questionable. I should have spoken up. It is right to respect your elders, but more respect must be given to wisdom.
The book of Job asks the question 'Where can wisdom be found?' Elihu challenges Job, and reminds him of the great distance between him and God. The Lord does the same - His will cannot be questioned by Job. God is the source of all true wisdom. He is before the beginning and after the end. He understands all things, and gives all things their definition. His providence must be trusted, even when it is not understood.

No comments: