Friday 10 September 2010

Ezekiel 19-21

7 "'At that time I told them, "Get rid of all the vile things that you've become addicted to. Don't make yourselves filthy with the Egyptian no-god idols. I alone am God, your God."

Addiction relates to the source of our comfort and joy, our peace and satisfaction; the recipe for freedom is to enjoy God. This is not the same as enjoying religion (which would be a challenge)!

32 "'What you're secretly thinking is never going to happen. You're thinking, "We're going to be like everybody else, just like the other nations. We're going to worship gods we can make and control."
33-35 "'As sure as I am the living God, says God, the Master, think again! With a mighty show of strength and a terrifying rush of anger, I will be King over you! I'll bring you back from the nations, collect you out of the countries to which you've been scattered, with a mighty show of strength and a terrifying rush of anger. I'll bring you to the desert of nations and haul you into court, where you'll be face-to-face with judgment.


Judgement is more severe for the people of God, both because He disciplines the son He loves, and because He cannot let His people misrepresent Him.

44 "'But, dear Israel, you'll also realize that I am God when I respond to you out of who I am, not by what I feel about the evil lives you've lived, the corrupt history you've compiled. Decree of God, the Master.'"

I love this: God judges out of His identity, His core values, not emotional reaction

13"'Testing comes.
Why have you despised discipline?
You can't get around it.
Decree of God, the Master.'

Good word.

No comments: