Friday 23 January 2009

Matthew 23

29 “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! Because you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, ‘If we had lived in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partakers with them in the blood of the prophets.’ 31 “Therefore you are witnesses against yourselves that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers’ guilt.

9 Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven.

We live out of the source of our identity. If I identify with my heavenly father, I am free to honour other "fathers" as gifts from Him; receiving the good, and rejecting the bad. But, if I identify with earthly fathers as the source of my identity, then I make them my idol, and will be limited by their failures.

No comments: